Mount Airy, NC Water Heater Repair Professionals
Every modern home needs a functioning water heater. You may not realize it, but you use this appliance quite often, including when you cook, clean, shower, do laundry, or perform any task that involves using hot water. A problem with the unit can leave you with cold water or high utility bills. It can also create safety hazards in your home.
The professionals at Jay’s Heating, Air & Plumbing are experienced in providing high-quality water heater repair services. They can address a diverse range of issues. Committed to 100% customer satisfaction, our team arrives promptly, equipped with the tools and parts to quickly diagnose the problem and repair your water heater.
Common Water Heater Issues
We’re familiar with the common problems homeowners face with water heaters. Your system can work well for a long time and suddenly develop issues due to normal use and wear and tear. Some of the most common include:
- Lack of Hot Water: Having no hot water is an inconvenience. It also means your water heater isn’t working. If a loss of power isn’t the cause, a pilot light issue can be the reason (if you have a gas water heater). A faulty heating element can cause an electric unit to stop producing hot water.
- Inconsistent Water Temperature: If the water temperature is sometimes too hot and other times too cold, or changes constantly, there may be sediment in the tank, or the thermostat may be set incorrectly or malfunctioning.
- Changes in Water Quality: Cloudy, rusty, or dirty water can indicate corrosion or the need for a new anode rod. Odors in water can be caused by bacteria growing inside the water heater. This may require a professional to clean the tank.
- Strange Noises or Rumbling: Popping, hissing, and banging sounds from a gas water heater can mean sediment is being burned or the heating elements are burning out. Rumbling sounds can also indicate sediment buildup in the tank. Loud booming or screeching sounds are also a cause for concern.
- Leaks and Water Pooling: Whether water is dripping down from the tank or pooling under it, call for help. It can be caused by corrosion, a cracked tank, or a loose connection. Solutions range from tightening a part to replacing the entire water heater.
- Pilot Light Issues: If the pilot light keeps going out, won’t light, or is discolored
(it should be blue), your safety may be at risk. Water heaters have a safety shutoff if the pilot isn’t working to prevent gas from building up. But a pilot light issue should never be ignored.
Water Heater Repair Services
At Jay’s Heating, Air & Plumbing, we offer a range of repair services for various types of water heaters. Our licensed, trained, and experienced professionals can:
- Repair Failed Heating Elements: Water heaters have two heating elements. Even if one fails, the unit won’t produce enough hot water. Our technicians can replace the components to restore the system.
- Replace Faulty Thermostats: Issues with water temperature control can be resolved by replacing a water heater’s thermostat.
- Address Pressure Relief Valve Issues: If the pressure relief valve is damaged, pressure in the tank can become too high, causing major damage. Located on the top of the water heater, the valve is not difficult to replace.
- Flushing the Tank: Sediment buildup, which is typically caused by minerals in your water supply, can affect water quality and cause your water heater to malfunction. A plumber can resolve or avoid issues by flushing the tank during maintenance.
- Repair or Replace the Pilot Light: Our technicians are trained to work with the pilot light assembly inside your water heater. It’s usually not a costly repair, as it typically involves a small component rather than replacing the entire assembly.
Emergency Repair Services in Mount Airy
We’re available 24/7 to address urgent water heater issues. If there’s a sudden malfunction that affects water temperature, causes loud noises, or triggers a leak, our team responds quickly. Upon arrival, they’ll immediately troubleshoot and determine how to resolve the matter to prevent further damage.
No matter what issues affect your water heater, we’ll provide a professional consultation and provide advice based on our assessment. If necessary, we can determine the need for repair or replacement and provide expert advice on choosing a new water heater. We’ll even find a customized solution that meets the specific needs of your household.
Types of Water Heaters We Work With
Our technicians have training and experience repairing various types of water heaters, including:
- Tank Water Heaters: These are the most prevalent and can be powered by electricity or natural gas. They work frequently to heat and reheat water, so wear and tear can be a problem.
- Tankless (On-Demand) Water Heaters: Running only when the hot water is turned on, tankless units can develop issues but require less maintenance than traditional models.
- Heat Pump Water Heaters: A hybrid water heater draws heat from the air or ground. Consisting of a heat pump and storage tank, it takes up a lot of space and has several components that may need periodic repairs.
- Solar-Powered Water Heaters: Consisting of solar panels and a tank, a solar-powered water heater can be installed on the roof or elsewhere. They also often have a backup fuel source.
- Condensing Water Heaters: If your home has a natural gas source, unused fumes can be used to heat water. To do so, waste gas is funneled into a coil at the bottom of the tank.
Should I Upgrade to a Modern Water Heater?
Newer water heaters are built to meet stricter energy efficiency standards. Even conventional types are more efficient, but we also install tankless water heaters and can determine if one is right for your home. They come in different sizes and capacities to meet different requirements.
How Do I Maintain My Water Heater?
You can keep your water heater running smoothly and efficiently by following these tips:
- Keep the temperature setting between 120℉ and 140℉ to save energy, avoid scalding, and prevent bacterial growth.
- Check frequently for leaks or unusual sounds from your water heater.
- Insulate the tank and pipes with a water heater blanket.
- Make sure the vent pipe is clear and undamaged (for a gas water heater).
- Flush the water heater tank (if comfortable doing so without a plumber).
- Schedule routine preventative maintenance by a professional.
When Is It Better to Replace a Water Heater?
A well-maintained tank water heater should last at least 10 years, while a tankless unit can last over 20 years. Consider replacing instead of repairing a water heater if it requires multiple repairs or fixing it is too costly (repairs exceed 50% of the cost of replacement).
Why Do Water Heaters Fail?
Even the best-maintained water heater will reach the end of its life. However, corrosion is the most common cause of water heater failure. Therefore, replacing the anode rod can increase the system’s operating life; otherwise, the tank will corrode more quickly.
Schedule Professional Water Heater Repair Today
Jay’s Heating, Air & Plumbing is trusted for prompt, efficient, and affordable water heater repair services in Mount Airy, NC. Professional repairs ensure your system is reliable and efficient and can help it last longer. Our licensed plumbers are trained in a range of repair solutions and can fix different types of water heaters. They’re also available 24/7 to address emergencies. Call (336) 663-0496 to request service.