Garbage Disposal Services in Mount Airy, NC
A garbage disposal helps discard food scraps without clogging up your sink drain or filling the trash can. However, this convenient appliance can be prone to clogging or jamming, which isn’t always easy to fix. A malfunctioning unit can have a wide range of effects on your plumbing system, while installing or replacing one requires the help and expertise of a plumber. From garbage disposal installation to repair and maintenance services, you can count on Jay’s Heating, Air & Plumbing for a job well done.
How Do Kitchen Garbage Disposals Work
Located underneath the kitchen sink, a garbage disposal is a cylindrical device that contains two chambers. The upper chamber holds food scraps when you first put them in. A lower chamber contains a ⅓ to 1 hp motor. While the unit is running, food passes between the chambers and is ground up by fast-spinning impellers driven by the motor, which also rotates a flywheel that forces food particles through the shredder ring. After the food has been ground up, it passes through the waste line and into the drain pipe.
The two most common types of garbage disposals include:
- Batch Feed Disposals: These turn on only when a stopper is placed over the opening, which prevents items from falling into the disposal or children from sticking their hands in the machine.
- Continuous Feed Disposals: These are activated by a switch and stay on until switched off. You can keep adding food waste while the unit is running. Some units have auto-reverse, jam-protection, and splash prevention features.
If you’re wondering why you’d need a garbage disposal, here are some of the benefits:
- Faster disposal of kitchen waste
- Less food waste to throw out
- Fewer garbage odors in the kitchen
- Reduced need for plastic bags
- Time saved on taking out the trash
- Fewer drainage pipe leaks
- Cash saved on supplies and plumbing services
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
Signs of a Malfunctioning Garbage Disposal
A problem with your disposal can interfere with cooking, washing up, and cleaning your kitchen. Depending on the issue, you may need a repair or garbage disposal replacement. Here are some common signs you should call a plumber in Mount Airy, NC:
- Strange Noises or Vibrations: Garbage disposals are known to make some noise. Call for help if you hear metallic sounds, a loud humming, or the unit seems to be vibrating more than usual.
- Slow Draining or Clogging Issues: If the unit works more slowly or clogs up frequently, and reducing the amount of food you dispose of at a time doesn’t help, the device may be malfunctioning or too small for your needs.
- Unpleasant Odors from the Disposal: As wet food breaks down, it can release unpleasant odors, especially when it’s stuck in the appliance or the drain. Avoid using chemical cleaners. Instead, call a professional to clean the unit.
- Leaks or Water Damage: A garbage disposal leak can leave a puddle under the sink or on the floor near the cabinet. Water can drip from the disposal or seem to be coming from the sink. These are signs to call a plumber to assess the problem.
- The Disposal Isn’t Working Properly: Whether you use the reset button often or the disposal takes longer to break down food scraps, it should be checked by a professional who specializes in garbage disposal troubleshooting and repair.
Why You Need a Professional Garbage Disposal Service
A garbage disposal is a complex and delicate machine. Repairing it is not a DIY task. A mistake can risk injury or cause expensive damage to your plumbing system. Always call a professional plumber if you can’t unclog the disposal or reset it. They have the training, tools, and equipment to get it working again and avoid safety hazards. Professional repairs are also faster and more cost-effective.
Our Kitchen Garbage Disposal Services
We provide a range of garbage disposal and plumbing services in Mount Airy. After installing an appliance in your home, our team can provide you with:
- Garbage Disposal Inspections and Diagnostics: Call us if you have an issue, explain the symptoms, and we’ll send a technician to perform a detailed inspection with the tools and expertise to diagnose the exact problem.
- Garbage Disposal Repair and Replacement: At Jay’s Heating, Air & Plumbing, we provide professional repairs using high-quality parts. If necessary, we’ll help find a replacement suited for your home, install it, and test the appliance to ensure it is effective.
- Routine Maintenance: We provide routine kitchen disposal maintenance to help the appliance run more smoothly and reliably and avoid costly repairs and early replacement. Preventative maintenance includes having the drain pipe cleaned every couple of years. We can also check and test your disposal to ensure it’s working properly.
Tips for DIY Garbage Disposal Maintenance
The following are tips for helping your disposal run smoothly:
- Run the garbage disposal regularly to prevent rust and blockages.
- Run cold water before turning the disposal on so grease/oils solidify and break up.
- Cut larger food items into small pieces so large pieces don’t clog the unit.
- Use small amounts of ice to clean the disposal, with the rubber stopper over the top.
- Clean it with a degreaser to prevent fat buildup and eliminate odors.
- Grind up lemons, oranges, and other citrus peels to reduce odors and prevent bacterial growth.
Also, avoid these garbage disposal don’ts:
- Don’t pour liquid grease, oil, or fat into the disposal.
- Don’t pour hot water in; it will cause grease to liquify and clog drains.
- Don’t grind fibrous vegetables, egg shells, potato peels, pasta, coffee grinds, or bones.
- Don’t grind non-food items like towels, plastic, etc.
- Don’t fill the disposal with a bigger load than it can handle.
- Don’t use cleaning chemicals that can harm the disposal, the environment, or you.
Why Choose Jay’s Heating, Air & Plumbing
At Jay’s, our highly trained and experienced plumbers can repair, install, or maintain your garbage disposal. They use advanced tools and technology to work quickly and effectively. Prompt, professional service also ensures your disposal is free of clogs, odors, and issues that can lead to costly repairs. For garbage disposal and other plumbing services in and around Mount Airy, NC, contact us online or call (336) 962-5491.